Mill Valley Market was founded on July 4th 1929 by Frank Canepa. The store started out as a produce market located at 118 Throckmorton Avenue. When we first opened we were one of close to a dozen small groceries around town, but we are the only one still in operation today.
Frank's oldest son Jim Canepa took over the store in 1955, and moved it to its current location. We credit Jim with turning Mill Valley Market into the place it is today. He loved food and the town of Mill Valley. He sought out and brought in many of the amazing items you can find here at the store. Jim also set a great example for his children and grandchildren by putting community involvement on par with daily work at the store. In 1975, Jim's younger brother Bob Canepa became a partner in the business as well.
Current owners David and Doug Canepa, purchased the business from their father Jim in 1990. Like Jim, they both started working at Mill Valley Market as children. They have continued in their father's footsteps, expanding the store to feature a full deli and commercial kitchen. The goal remains the same as it has been since 1929: to offer great products and excellent service without exception.
The Canepa family and the Mill Valley Market have been intertwined since the beginning and will hopefully continue that way for many years to come. David's son Ryan Canepa joined the business as a Manager in 2009, and hopefully one day will take over a portion of the business. Like the previous generations before him, he started working in the store as a child.